Food preparation in a convenience store setting requires knowledge of basic safe food handling procedures. In today’s busy world, gas stations and convenience stores provide quick options for those on the go. It is important for employees who prepare food to have some basic reminders of common kitchen hazards and how to avoid them.
Common hazards of working in a kitchen include:
Falls from slipping on wet, greasy floors
- Tripping over items
- Sprains and strains
- Repetitive motion injuries
- Electrical shock
- Kitchen fires
It is important to know what can be done to prevent these injuries. Consider these recommendations to prevent injuries.
Wear and use appropriate PPE for the job task. Items might include gloves, aprons, safety glasses
- Wear appropriate footwear
- Keep kitchen cutting tools sharp and in good condition
- Store knives on overhead magnetic strips
- Regularly test GFCI electrical outlets in areas that might be exposed to water to ensure they are working properly
- Keep appropriate fire extinguishers on-site and ensure employees are trained to respond to a fire.