It is important to practice safe and concentrated movements when lifting and moving objects. Many times, injuries occur while repetitively loading or unloading items from a truck or trailer. We can avoid serious strains and sprains by taking the right precautions during these activities.
Avoid injuries related to lifting and moving with these safe moves:
- Make a plan!
- Plan a clear route prior to any movement being taken. How will the items be moved from point A to point B?
- Clear the path of any obstructions if needed.
- Determine the weight and size of the object to be moved and if mechanical aid is needed.
- Use good body positioning.
- Bend at the knees with feet shoulder width apart.
- Keep the item lifted close to the body.
- Maintain good posture keeping the head up.
- Avoid twisting while lifting and take it slow.
- Get help when needed.
- When moving a large or awkward item ask for assistance.
- Team lifting is encouraged for heavy or odd shaped material or equipment.
- Where possible alleviate some or all lifting by using a dolly or cart.
- If a lift is available on the truck utilize it, even if it takes more time.
- Wear appropriate gloves to assist with grip.
- Avoid overreaching.
- When lifting something overhead, avoid straining or reaching.
- Use a step ladder to move the object safely where possible.
- Avoid repetitive reaching overhead. Rotate tasks with another employee if needed to avoid shoulder or back strain.
Cover these areas ahead of any job where lifting and moving will occur to avoid potential sprains and strains.