Slips: The loss of balance caused by too little friction or traction between your feet (footwear) and the walking or working surface.
Trips: A loss of balance caused from a person’s foot contacting an object or dropping to a lower level while moving forward or backwards.
Falls: The result of a trip or slip that causes the body to loose balance and strike a surface or object.
Although there is never any way to completely prevent accidents or injuries, there are ways to reduce the likelihood of them happening.
- Promote injury awareness (in-service, presentations, checklists, posters, signage, safety meetings etc.)
- Education of supervisors, risk managers, employees
- Gather information about injuries
- Determine how to reduce injuries
- Implement & train prevention strategies
- Report all hazards immediately
- Reduce risk of hazards
- Alert all persons in the area
- Mark off the area or stay there until help arrives
- Remove the hazards whenever possible
- In the event of an emergency, CALL 911!