Slips trips and falls restaurants safety talk
It may be no surprise that slips trips and falls are the most common cause of injury in restaurants. This can be due to several issues that we will discuss. Let us look at some of the common hazards concerning slips trips and falls in restaurants as well as what can be done to prevent them.
Hazards that are typical for this industry include oils or grease on the floor, as well as the attempt to mop and correct this hazard. Adding soapy water to the mix can create an even more slippery surface. Walkways and isles tend to be irregular or small in restaurants and kitchens. Add to this moving around the area carrying hot foods or liquids.
Tips to prevent slips, trips, and falls in restaurants:
- Schedule time into each shift to clean up and keep work areas and dining tidy.
- All spills should be cleaned immediately, and a wet floor sign placed on the area until dry.
- Place non slip mats in areas that are wet regularly and have employees wear anti slip footwear.
- Employees should be trained to announce entry and exit from the kitchen as well as around others that are cooking to avoid collision with the door or other workers.
- Conduct regular inspection of the floors to look for missing or chipped material, curling rugs or any other tripping hazards.
- Ensure there is adequate and unclogged drainage for wet floor areas.
- Make repairs to flooring, drains, and drain covers as quickly as possible.
- Place mirrors around corners of commonly traveled areas so that workers can see each other coming.
- When possible, arrange seating to be easy to travel around with clear walkways.
Taking these small steps may prevent a big injury. If one of these problems exist or another slip or trip hazard is spotted it should be reported to management immediately and corrected as soon as possible.