Poor lighting in any workspace or walkway can lead to accidents including slips, trips and falls. It’s critical to assess all areas employees must travel for adequate lighting.
Areas to include in inspection:
- All work areas should be properly illuminated
- Any hallways, staircases or areas accessed by ladder
- Any storage rooms, closets, breakrooms or bathrooms
- Any areas outdoors such as parking lots, all exit door areas, and dumpster areas
- All ramps and construction areas should have proper lighting
- Any basement that must be accessed
- Loading dock areas
- Emergency lighting should be tested and assessed for effectiveness
- Areas around light switches should be kept clear and easily accessible
- Regular inspection should occur to check for any lights that are out or for any repairs that need to be made
Ensure that employees know the importance of proper lighting. Lights should be turned on upon entering any room or the room should be equipped with automatic lighting.