Some of the most common injuries in retail work environment include slips, trips and falls, due to high volumes of customers and workplace conditions. Maintaining clean and organized work areas is the best way to control these hazards.
Specific examples include:
• Keep store walkways, aisles and stairs free from materials or other hazards
• Low, hard-to-see objects should be removed from walking paths (e.g. electrical cords, boxes, stock, pallets, packing
• Clean up any leaks or spills promptly (ex. on floors, entranceways, stock rooms, in front of sinks, soda fountains and ice machines)
• Repair or report floor problems such as broken planks, missing tiles, etc.
• Block off and mark floor areas being cleaned or repaired
• Place trash promptly in proper containers
• Don’t carry a load you can’t see over
• Keep drawers and cabinets closed