Delivery drivers can be more exposed and vulnerable than many industries, with frequent stops and getting in and out of vehicles. Let us cover some tips to keep delivery drivers safe.
- Do daily pre-trip inspections to make sure the vehicle is in proper working order and to avoid break downs
- Stay alert to any vehicles that may be following
- Do not exit the vehicle if being followed
- Go to the nearest safe place and call to report
- Keep vehicle locked when parked or when in use and windows rolled up
- Avoid spontaneous and unapproved stops
- Avoid poorly lit areas and be aware of surroundings
- Vehicle should be turned off and keys taken with driver when exiting the vehicle
- Be alert to anyone suspicious hanging around the delivery area
- Maintain communication with supervisor or dispatch and report anything questionable
- Vary route and drive times when possible
- Do not leave the vehicle in unsecured parking areas
- Do not allow unauthorized passengers in the vehicle
- Activate the vehicles remote alarm if there is a threat
In addition to these areas, stay up to date with the company’s driving policy and reporting procedures. If something does not feel or look right, stop and take time to call it in.