Trucks should be inspected daily. To do so follow your employer’s inspection guidelines. Make this process one that is not done quickly but with intent. It could make all the difference. Below are some common areas of inspection that may get overlooked.
Areas to highlight:
- Ensure that while checking inside the cab all items are removed from windshield that could cause a glare or obstruction
- Inspect all hydraulic hoses for wear and tear
- Check all straps for frays, cuts, burns, chemical damage etc.
- Ensure all emergency features such as back up alarms, lighting and safety lock devices are working properly
- Inspect cables for any kinking or frays
- Inspect wheel condition and tire inflation
- Check that the fire extinguisher is in place, serviced and secured
- Check mud flaps for wear and tear
If any repairs are needed or if defects are found note the items on the inspection checklist and promptly report it to a supervisor.