Landfills can pose many hazards regarding dumping. However, it is possible to create a safe space to take care of dumping activities by following some basic safety tips.
Communication between employees should be established before visiting the dump site. Spotters should be used any time back occurs when moving around the site. In addition to assisting the company truck, spotters should be alert and aware of surroundings and other vehicles moving in the area.
A minimum distance as listed below should be kept away from equipment in the landfill:
- Operators working on equipment should stay ten feet from all vehicles and people
- All non-lift body trucks should keep a minimum of ten feet from any vehicles and people
- Trucks with a lift body should keep a minimum of 20 feet away from any vehicles or people
- End dump tractor trailers should stay 50 feet minimum from all vehicles or people
- Tippers for tractor trailers should stay 60 feet minimum from all vehicles or people
Personal protective equipment should be worn as an additional precaution as well. This should be done any time employees are dumping or assisting the dump driver in a landfill.
- High visibility vest
- Hard hats
In addition to these precautions, ensure that employees are trained on other applicable hazards such as slips, trips, and falls, heat stress etc.