Hazards associated with electricity are very dangerous not only are there the dangers of electrocution but there is also the probability that there could be an electric shock that will cause loss of consciousness.
You could possibly receive an electric shock:
- By not grounding electrical equipment
- Making contact with energized electric lines
- By coming too close to high power lines with the power arcing over and contacting you or the equipment you are using
- From a defective power tool
- From a defective electrical cord
- From overloading a switch or over-riding a by-pass
Basic safety rules every employee should follow:
- Clearly label equipment that should not be used owing to a suspected fault
- Switch off equipment and power sockets before removing the plug from the power source
- Switch off equipment before adjusting or cleaning it
- When your equipment is not in use, turn it off if possible
- A qualified person should do repairs and alterations
Safety tips to avoid electrical shock
- Always consider power lines to be “live” and avoid contact with them.
- Use your AC voltage tester to make sure that wiring is not energized
- Use GFCI’s with all power tools
- Extension cords are only temporary and use them only when necessary
- Never stand in water and operate a power tool
- Always mark power supplies, circuit boxes, and breaker boxes to indicate their purpose
- Do not use a power tool or an extension cord that has had the ground prong removed or missing
The power of electricity can be both a servant and a killer. Electricity poses a risk, so you should always treat it with respect. It is crucial not to take it for granted, to become lazy, or take short-cuts. Always practice electrical safety and never get complacent while on the job.