Many industries are at risk of fire and explosion due to the presence of heated material, flammable gas and vapors. Appropriate protective measures should be taken any time these hazards are present.
Steps to prevent an unwanted ignition source from being present and to prevent fire and explosion on the worksite:
- Know company safety policies and procedures and follow them during any work around flammable gases, vapors, or material and potential ignition sources.
- Perform a JSA before beginning any job that has these types of hazards. Ensure that each effected employee is involved in this process and understands and follows the steps laid out.
- Know the hazards employees are working around.
- Hazard communication training should be performed prior to any work beginning. It should be specific to content and hazards being faced.
- If performing hot work, ensure a hot work permit in place. This will ensure conditions and safety equipment onsite are adequate and that it is safe to begin work.
- Be knowledgeable of and remove potential ignition sources or unnecessary flammable material.
- Use required personal protective equipment when working around flammable material, gases and vapors such as flame-resistant clothing, long sleeves, pants, gloves and boots.
- Pay close attention to surroundings, know how to react to a potential fire or explosion and be ready to.